1) Compare James to Jesusâ€™ Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5â€“7 or Lukeâ€™s Sermon on the Plain in Luke 6:17â€“49. Do Jesus and James seem to be “brothers” in their wisdom teachings?
2) “Donâ€™t ask, donâ€™t tell.” What is the official Roman policy developed with respect to early Christians in Trajanâ€™s reply to Pliny? How does this help us understand the content of 1 Peter? How might Trajanâ€™s reply help us to date the letter?
3) After reading 2 Peter and Jude side by side, discuss their similarities and differences. How did scholars decide 2 Peter used Jude and not the other way around? What phrasing, concepts, imagery and language does 2 Peter pick up from Jude?
4) What evidence is there in Jude that the canon of Jewish scriptures is still open or fluid?
5) Compare 1 Corinthians and 1 John. How does each author use “love” to address problems of discord and conflict in the communities to whom they write? Do the authors have the same definition of love? What are some of the differences or similarities?