To participate in the following discussions, go to this week’s Discussion link in the left navigation.
- Social Versus Human Capital
This weekâ€™s first discussion forum will focus on the population of abused individuals. Abuse is a pervasive problem in our society. Although the forms of abuse, as well as the intensity and duration can vary from case to case, each abused person is tasked with dealing with the scars left from the abuse. As you can imagine, this task can be very challenging to say the least. Using research to help you form an opinion, which form of capital (social or human capital) do you feel will have a greater influence over resources accessible to the abused? Discuss which form of capital you would rely on for emotional support and help through difficult times if abused. Explain your rationale. Chapter 3 of the course text defines these terms in more detail.
Your initial contribution should be 250 to 300 words in length. Your research and claims must be supported by a minimum of two scholarly sources beyond your course text. Use proper APA formatting for in-text citations and references as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Guided Response: Review several of your classmatesâ€™ posts. Provide a substantive response (minimum of 100 words) to at least two of your peers. Respond to one peer who chose the same form of capital as you and one who chose the opposite form. What are some of the differences and/or similarities between your decisions to choose one form over the other?
2. Continuum of Care Evaluation and Analysis
This weekâ€™s second discussion forum focuses on the populations of the chronically ill and the disabled.
You may be familiar with the common quote â€œAn ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.â€ In reality, however, you may know of a person, family, or group who is not receiving adequate preventive or medical care due to a lack of resources and funds.
- Choose one specific chronic illness or disability of your choice.
- Select two resources in your community that address issues related to the chronic illness/disability and describe the services offered.
- Select two national resources that address issues related to the chronic illness/disability and describe the services offered.
- Analyze whether or not the continuum of care services are adequate for the population with the chosen chronic illness/disability. Explain why or why not.
3. Vulnerable Population Summary and Proposed Program
The first of your two written assignments for the course will provide a beginning framework that you will utilize in the development of your
Final Project: a proposal for a community-based program in your area. For this first written assignment, you will select one of the vulnerable groups identified in the text that will serve as your target population of interest throughout the duration of your next written assignment and Final Project.
Select one among the following groups from Chapter 1:
- Vulnerable mothers and children
- Abused individuals
- Chronically ill and disabled people
- People diagnosed with HIV/AIDS
- People diagnosed with mental conditions
- Suicide- and homicide-liable people
- People affected by alcohol and substance abuse
- Indigent and homeless people
- Immigrants and refugees
- Groups for special consideration (you may propose a different vulnerable population at the consent of the instructor)
Once you have selected a group of interest, write a three page paper that covers the following:
- Discuss the impact that at least two of the factors below have on the vulnerability of your chosen group:
- Analyze the intersection of social, political, and economic factors affecting vulnerability (must address all three factors).
- Draft the design of a new model program, not currently existent within your community. Provide a two- to- three paragraph statement that introduces your proposed community program. This section is tentative and might change as you conduct more research. At a minimum, however, items to address should include:
- An explanation of the issues and risk factors experienced by the selected population.
- An evaluation of the health needs of the group and a proposed continuum of care level (preventive, treatment, or long-term care) based on the groupâ€™s issues, risk factors, and needs. Justify the proposed level with supportive research/evidence.
- A description of one to two proposed services your program will include.
Your assignment should be a minimum of three pages in length (excluding title and reference pages), and should include a minimum of three scholarly sources cited according to APA guidelines as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.