World Culture Paper
Assignment 2: Analyzing World Cultures
Media play a very large role in both the development and the perpetuation of cultural elements. You may never have watched a foreign movie or even clips evaluating other cultures. In this assignment, you will explore online videos or movies from a culture of your choice and analyze how cultural elements are presented, compared to your own culture.
Complete the following:
- Choose a world culture you are not familiar with.
- Identify twoâ€“three online videos or movies representative of this culture. These could be examples of cultural expressions such as a Bollywood movie from India or Anime videos from Japan.
Evaluate two hours of such a video. Using the readings for this module, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research articles about your selected culture.
- Select a scholarly article that analyzes the same culture presented in the videos you have observed.
- Write a paper describing the cultural differences you have observed in the video. How are these observations supported by the research article?
Be sure to include the following:
- Describe the videos you have watched.
- Explain the main points of the videos.
- Examine what stood out about the culture.
- Compare and contrast the similarities and differences of this culture with your own.
- Examine the ways of this culture. Is it one you would want to visit or live in?
- Would you experience culture shock if you immersed yourself in this culture? Why or why not?
Support your statements with examples and scholarly references.
Write a 2â€“3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M2_A2.doc.
By Wednesday, October 22, 2014, deliver your assignment to the M2: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Analyzed how a world culture is represented in a video or movie.||
|Selected a scholarly article related to the observed culture and compared the observations of the video or movie with the findings of the article describing the cultural differences.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||